Whether you’re on Android or iOS, there’s an overwhelming amount of trading apps for Europeans readily available at your fingertips. But browsing through them all for the perfect mobile brokerage will only leave you more confused than when you started — and with no space left on your device.
Finding the best trading app in Europe can be a tall order. To save you the agony of deciding where to begin, we narrowed down the playing field by reviewing and testing the most popular trading apps in Europe for you.
We looked the top European mobile brokerage services for long-term investors and frequent traders and compared them for user experience, price, charting, markets, and much more. We then selected the best trading apps in Europe for beginners and advanced traders and picked the best app for stocks, ETFs, CFDs, and forex.
Risk warning: We do not endorse Contracts for Differences (‘CFDs’), however, EU law requires that we provide the following disclaimer: CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. Between 59 – 80% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with these providers. You should consider whether you understand how CFDs work and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.
These Are the Best Trading Apps in Europe
|eToro||Zero-commission investing||Stocks, ETFs, CFDs||FCA, CySEC, ASIC|
|XTB||Active trading||Forex, CFDs||FCA, CySEC, KNF, IFSC|
|DEGIRO||Long-term investing||Stocks, ETFs||AFM, DNB|
|IG||Experienced traders & forex||Forex, CFDs||FCA, BaFin, FINMA, NFA|
We believe these brokers deliver the best mobile experience, as they are easy to use, have a clean design, and come with great tools for executing trades and keeping an eye on the markets. Here is our ranking of the best trading apps in Europe:
- eToro: Best app for free stock and ETF investing. eToro offers zero-commission stock and ETF trades, a well-rounded mobile platform, one-click copy trading, and many years of market experience.
- XTB: Best app for active trading and best technology. XTB’s mobile platform stands out as the top choice for seasoned traders with industry-leading technology and access to over 1,500 CFDs at your fingertips.
- DEGIRO: Best app for long-term investing. Dutch DEGIRO impresses with market-leading discount fees on equity investments, access to 30 international exchanges, and free monthly ETF trades.
- IG: Best app for experienced traders and range of products. IG combines 45 years of market experience, 17,000 tradeable markets, and highly advanced tools and charts, all into an intuitive trading app. For seasoned forex and CFD traders, IG is a highly trusted option to explore.
eToro: Best Trading App in Europe for Free Stock and ETF Investing
Housing over 12 million users worldwide, eToro runs a beginner-friendly investment and trading app for Europeans with a broad appeal. Private investors can enjoy zero-commission stocks and ETFs with no fees for opening or closing trades. The company boasts a global presence with offices around the world and is regulated by multiple financial authorities, including the FCA (UK), CySEC (EU), and ASIC (Australia).
We do not endorse Contracts for Differences (‘CFDs’), but we are required to provide the following disclaimer: 75% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider.
eToro offers a simple and well-designed trading app for iOS and Android that is easy to understand for less experienced users. It supports 21 languages, comes with an industry-standard 2-step login, and fast syncing across devices. There are no drawing tools and a limited number of indicators which makes it less suitable for advanced traders but helps keep things simple for everyday investors. Price alerts can be set with relative easy, and push notifications are also supported. The app is sometimes slow to load which causes some delays in executing trades.
Why we like eToro:
- Beginner-friendly. Both the app and desktop versions are intuitive and simple to use for new investors.
- Free investing. eToro has joined the race to offer zero-commission equity investing. Citizens in the EU and UK can enjoy free stock and ETF trading, with no management fees, ticket fees or roll-over fees for non-leveraged positions. However, you still pay for exchanging currency, withdrawals, and $10 if you have been deemed inactive for 12 months.
- Regulated. eToro is regulated by top-tier financial authorities, including the FCA in the UK, CySEC in Cyprus, and ASIC in Australia.
Not available in: Albania, Belarus, Belgium, Croatia, Faroe Islands, Greenland, Iceland, North Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Serbia, Slovenia.
Risk warning: We do not endorse Contracts For a Difference (‘CFDs’), however, EU law requires that we provide the following disclaimer: CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. 75% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider. You should consider whether you understand how CFDs work, and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.
XTB: Best Trading App in Europe for CFD Trading and Best Technology
With a 4.5-star user rating and easy access to 1,500 CFD markets in a few taps, XTB’s award-winning app, the xStation Mobile, delivers the definite package of tools for busy smartphone traders. We found the app elegantly designed with easy-to-use navigation for staying on top of trades without sacrificing any core needs. During the testing period, the development team continuously added new charting tools and improved other key elements by taking feedback from its users.
We do not endorse Contracts for Differences (‘CFDs’), but we are required to provide the following disclaimer: 79% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider.
Why we like XTB:
- Trusted broker. XTB is publicly traded, discloses its financials, has 10 offices worldwide, is regulated by multiple financial authorities in Europe, including the FCA, and keeps client funds segregated – making it a highly trustworthy broker.
- Low fees for CFDs. Fees for CDFs on stocks and ETFs start from 0.08. Commissions for forex and indices are built into the spread. Popular forex pair begin at 0.1 pips (EUR/USD, GBP/USD, USD/JPY), while indices S&P500 averages 0.6 and FTSE100 around 1.1.
- Premium technology. XTB’s xStation Mobile delivers a powerful mobile experience. The app comes with two-step order verification, price alerts, great charting tools, 10+ indicators, drawing tools, technical analysis, and a calculator for seeing pips, margin, and exposure to various risks. It also provides market news and reveals buy-sell sentiment among other XTB clients.
- Great educational material. XTB hosts an extensive library of free videos and in-depth tutorials for beginners, intermediates, and experts to up their trading game.
DEGIRO: Best Trading App in Europe for Long-Term Investing
Founded in 2008, DEGIRO is now the low-cost broker choice of 450,000 European investors. DEGIRO has grown rapidly in popularity due to its low rates and attractive pricing schedule which includes zero fees for deposits/withdrawals, no fees for inactivity, free maintenance, low stock trading fess, and one free ETF trade per month.
Perks aside, we were not too impressed by DEGIRO’s investment app on Android nor iOS, as it seems to be a container for its mobile-responsive website. While we believe the browser-based platform remains a solid choice for beginners and everyday investors, the mobile versions leaves room for improvement.
Disclaimer: Investing involves risk of loss.
Why we like DEGIRO:
- Discount prices. DEGIRO offers low trading fees for stocks, including £1.75 + 0.022% per stock on the LSE or €4.00 + 0.05% on Xetra, while ETFs only cost around €2 + 0.03% (actual prices depend on your region). DEGIRO also offers one free ETF trade per month (see the list of included ETFs and the terms here).
- Great for everyday investors. Besides low costs, DEGIRO is a winner for private buy-and-hold investors because it does not charge any fees for inactivity, deposits, withdrawals, maintenance, or custody services.
- Excellent online platform: The DEGIRO browser-platform is easy and intuitive to navigate for non-experts and includes a broad range of tools to keep an eye on portfolio performance.
IG: Best Trading App in Europe for Advanced Traders and Most Products
With over 45 years in business, IG is ranked as the world’s largest CFD provider based on revenue. The broker offers an exhaustive range of markets at competitive fees, including 8,000 stocks, 1,900 ETFs, 80 indices, 90 forex pairs, 8 large-cap cryptocurrencies, and 34 commodities.
IG is considered highly trustworthy because it is a publicly traded company, is regulated by 10 financial authorities around the world and operates as a licensed bank.
We do not endorse Contracts for Differences (‘CFDs’), but we are required to provide the following disclaimer: 76% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider.
IG’s trading app comes packed with advanced features and tools that work almost as good as the browser version, loaded with 28 technical indicators and drawings, detailed market information, and live Reuters news.
However, during testing we encountered occasional glitches and problems with the touch interface, which meant we sometimes could not execute desired actions. That being said, the app is regularly updated and presents an overall excellent tool to complement the desktop workstation.
Why we like IG:
- Product breadth. IG offers a comprehensive list of financial instruments, with access to over 16,000 tradeable markets.
- Advanced toolbox. IG’s mobile app finishes first in class when it comes to charts and technical analysis, with the ability to apply numerous indicators and drawings to examine market movements. Navigating it is intuitive, with asset categorized asset classes and easy order placing (although the design needs an overhaul).
- Trustworthy. Founded in 1974, IG boasts a long track record and has successfully weathered previous financial crises and recessions in the global economy. IG is listed on the London Stock Exchange as a publicly traded company and releases financial statements, making it a highly trustworthy broker to trade with.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best stock trading app in Europe?
The best stock trading and investing apps for Europeans are eToro and DEGIRO. Both are discount brokers with attractive pricing models. eToro offers commission-free stock trading, with no markup, no ticket fee, no management fee, and has 2,000 stocks and 145 ETFs. Meanwhile, DEGIRO offers budget prices on stocks and ETFs, charges zero service fees, and provides access to several stock exchanges around the world.
What is the best free trading app in Europe?
What is the best trading app in Europe for beginners?
The answer to this question depends on whether you want to invest or do active trading. For investors, the best apps in Europe for stocks, ETFs, and bonds are eToro, DEGIRO, and Interactive Brokers. Between the brokers, Interactive Brokers has the best in-app educational videos and tutorials but is also the youngest platform. For novice day traders, eToro has the edge, as the app comes with a demo account for practicing.
How do I choose a trading app?
The first step to select a mobile trading platform is to gather information from reviews and online discussions. Ask yourself what features are important to you. Are you looking for traditional equity investments such as stocks, bonds, and ETFs? Or do you want to trade leveraged instruments actively? With many brokers operating in different markets, it’s important to get a full picture before opening an account.
How much money do I need to start investing on an app?
Very little. Many European brokers now offer commission-free trades of stocks and ETFs, while others will let you buy fractional shares of expensive stocks from as little as €1.
Are cheaper brokers better?
While trading costs are key to frequent and high-volume traders, there is more to selecting a broker than just fees. Factors like the number of markets available, customer support, training tools, charting, and the quality and easy-of-use of the trading platform can be more important than saving a few pennies in the long run.
Is my money insured when trading on an app?
EU directives require each member state to provide investor protection of minimum €20,000 if an investment firm is unable to meet its obligations. All broker firms regulated within the EU are required to belong to this scheme. Depending on how your unused funds are kept, these may also be insured up to a certain amount. However, it’s important to understand that the protection scheme does not cover losses arisen from failed or unsuccessful investments. Another thing to keep in mind is that brokerages can be regulated by multiple financial authorities around the world, meaning that investors located outside the EU may fall under a different protection scheme.
Is the desktop version superior to the app?
Despite the popularity of mobile trading, three quarters of online trades are still being made on desktop systems. Since desktop trading is far superior in most aspects, but especially when it comes to speed, overview, usability. We therefore recommend that you use these brokers’ apps as a supplement to their web client or desktop software.