Whether you’re on Android or iOS, there’s an overwhelming amount of trading apps for us Europeans readily available at our fingertips. But browsing through them all for the perfect mobile brokerage will only leave you more confused than when you started — and with no space left on your device.
Finding the best trading app in Europe can be a tall order. So to save you the agony of deciding where to begin, I tried narrowing down the playing field by reviewing and testing the most popular trading apps in Europe for you.
I’ve looked at the top European mobile brokerage services for casual, long-term investors, and hobby traders and compared them for user experience, price, charting, markets, and more. I then selected what I believe are the best trading apps in Europe for beginners and advanced traders.
These are the best trading apps in Europe
Based on years of research, here are my top picks for the best trading apps in Europe:
- eToro – Best app for commission-free stocks. eToro offers zero-commission stock trades, a well-rounded mobile platform, and additional insurance protection for EU/UK clients.
- XTB – Best app for day trading and crypto CFDs. XTB’s mobile platform stands out as the top choice for day traders with industry-leading technology and access to over 1,500 CFDs at your fingertips.
- DEGIRO – Best app stocks and ETFs. German-Dutch DEGIRO impresses with market-leading discount fees on equity investments, access to 30 international exchanges, and commission-free monthly ETF trades.
- Interactive Brokers – Best app for trust and range of products. IB combines 40 years of history, thousands of products, and an all-around great user experience, all into one powerful trading app. For sophisticated investors and traders, IB is a clear winner.
- Coinbase – Best app for trading cryptocurrencies. Coinbase offers the leading mobile app for trading cryptocurrencies. For crypto-beginners and those looking for a reputable and safe crypto broker, Coinbase is the number one choice.
These brokers deliver the best mobile experience, as they are easy to use, have a clean design, and come with great tools for executing trades and keeping an eye on the markets.
Best for ETFs
DEGIRO: Buy selected ETFs with zero commissions. Winner of 80+ rewards. Used by 2+ million investors. Currency fees/connectivity fees may apply.
Best for day trading
XTB: Short or long 10,000+ CFDs on stocks, cryptocurrencies, and commodities. Try a risk-free demo.*
Best for crypto
Coinbase: Invest in Bitcoin, Ethereum, Cardano, and 50+ cryptocurrencies. 68+ million users.
*We do not endorse Contracts for Differences (‘CFDs’), but we are required to provide the following disclaimer: 77% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider.
Quick comparison of the best trading apps for Europeans
|Products||Stocks, ETFs, CFDs, crypto||Stocks/ETFs, CFDs||Stocks/ETFs, futures, options, bonds||Stocks/ETFs, futures, options, bonds, CFDs, margin loans||Cryptocurrencies|
|Regulated by||FCA, CySEC, ASIC||FCA, CySEC, KNF, IFSC||BaFin||SEC, FCA, CSSF, CBI, MNB, ASIC, SFC, BSE, FSA, MAS||Money transmission licenses in most US states, FinCEN; FCA|
|Inactivity fee||$10 after 12 mo.||€10 after 12 mo.||€0||€0||€0|
Detailed breakdown of the best stock trading apps for Europeans
eToro: Best Trading App in Europe for Zero-Commission Stocks
Commission: $0 comssion on stocks
Minimum deposit: $50 – $1,000
Monthly fee: $0
Your capital is at risk. Other fees apply. For more information, visit etoro.com/trading/fees.
Housing over 12 million users worldwide, eToro runs a beginner-friendly investment and trading app for Europeans with a broad appeal. Investors can enjoy zero-commission stocks with no fees for opening or closing trades. The company boasts a global presence with offices around the world and is regulated by multiple financial authorities, including the FCA (UK), CySEC (EU), and ASIC (Australia).
Special offer: Try with $100,000 in virtual funds
We do not endorse Contracts for Differences (‘CFDs’), but we are required to provide the following disclaimer: 79% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider.
eToro offers a simple and well-designed trading app for iOS and Android that is easy to understand for less experienced users. It supports 21 languages, comes with an industry-standard 2-step login, and fast syncing across devices.
While there are no drawing tools and a limited number of indicators, making the app less suitable for advanced traders, this helps keep things ultra-simple for everyday investors. Price alerts can be set relatively easily, and push notifications are also supported. The app is sometimes slow to load which causes some delays in executing trades.
- Beginner-friendly. Both the app and desktop versions are intuitive and simple to use for new investors.
- Commission-free stocks. eToro has joined the race to offer zero-commission stock investing. Citizens in the EU and UK can enjoy free stock trading, with no management fees, ticket fees, or roll-over fees for non-leveraged positions. However, you still pay for exchanging currency, withdrawals, and $10 if you have been deemed inactive for 12 months. Other fees may apply.
- Regulated. eToro is regulated by top-tier financial authorities, including the FCA in the UK, CySEC in Cyprus, and ASIC in Australia.
US residents please read: This content is not intended for US residents and is not authored by eToro USA LLC, eToro USA Securities, or a US affiliate.
eToro is a multi-asset platform which offers both investing in stocks and cryptoassets, as well as trading CFDs.
Please note that CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. 79% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider. You should consider whether you understand how CFDs work, and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.
Past performance is not an indication of future results. Trading history presented is less than 5 complete years and may not suffice as basis for investment decision.
Copy trading is a portfolio management service, provided by eToro (Europe) Ltd., which is authorised and regulated by the Cyprus Securities and Exchange Commission.
Cryptoassets are highly volatile and unregulated in the UK. No consumer protection. Tax on profits may apply.
eToro USA LLC does not offer CFDs and makes no representation and assumes no liability as to the accuracy or completeness of the content of this publication, which has been prepared by our partner utilizing publicly available non-entity specific information about eToro.
Your capital is at risk. Other fees apply. For more information, visit etoro.com/trading/fees.
XTB: Best Trading App in Europe for Day Trading
Commission: €0 on real real stocks/ETFs; floating spreads on CFDs with a min. of 0.00008
Minimum deposit: €0
Monthly fee: $0
Investment options: CFDs on stocks, ETFs, forex, cryptocurrencies
77% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider.
With a 4.5-star user rating and easy access to 1,500 CFD markets in a few taps, XTB’s award-winning app, the xStation Mobile, delivers a definite package of tools for busy smartphone traders. We found the app elegantly designed with easy-to-use navigation for staying on top of trades without sacrificing any core needs. During the testing period, the development team continuously added new charting tools and improved other key elements by taking feedback from its users.
We do not endorse Contracts for Differences (‘CFDs’), but we are required to provide the following disclaimer: 83% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider.
- Trusted broker. XTB is publicly traded, discloses its financials, has 10 offices worldwide, is regulated by multiple financial authorities in Europe, including the FCA, and keeps client funds segregated – making it a highly trustworthy broker.
- Low fees for CFDs. Fees for CDFs on stocks and ETFs start from 0.08. Commissions for forex and indices are built into the spread. Popular forex pair begin at 0.1 pips (EUR/USD, GBP/USD, USD/JPY), while indices S&P500 averages 0.6 and FTSE100 around 1.1.
- Premium technology. XTB’s xStation Mobile delivers a powerful mobile experience. The app comes with two-step order verification, price alerts, great charting tools, 10+ indicators, drawing tools, technical analysis, and a calculator for seeing pips, margin, and exposure to various risks. It also provides market news and reveals buy-sell sentiment among other XTB clients.
- Great educational material. XTB hosts an extensive library of free videos and in-depth tutorials for beginners, intermediates, and experts to up their trading game.
DEGIRO: Best Trading App in Europe for Stocks and ETFs
Commission: $0 on US stocks and selected ETFs
Minimum deposit: €0
Monthly fee: $0
Investment options: Stocks, ETFs, Bonds, Options, Futures
Founded in 2008, DEGIRO is now the low-cost broker choice of 2,000,000+ European investors. DEGIRO has grown rapidly in popularity due to its low rates and attractive pricing schedule which includes zero fees for deposits/withdrawals, no fees for inactivity, free maintenance, low stock trading fees, commission-free US stocks (there’s a €1 handling fee, though), and one monthly commission-free ETF trade. Note that there may still be connectivity and FX fees applicable.
Disclaimer: Investing involves risk of loss.
Perks aside, we were not too impressed by DEGIRO’s investment app on Android nor iOS, as it seems to be a container for its mobile-responsive website. While we believe the browser-based platform remains a solid choice for beginners and everyday investors, the mobile version leaves room for improvement.
- Discount prices. DEGIRO offers commission-free US stock trades and one free ETF trade per month (see the list of included ETFs and the terms here). The cost of trading on foreign stocks varies depending on the exchange and your location. US stocks can be traded commission-free, but with a €1 handling fee per trade, while stocks on European exchanges generally amount to around €3.90. Certain nationalities can trade stocks and ETFs on their home country exchange and international exchanges with €0 commissions. Other fees may apply, including foreign currency exchange fees (if your buying equities in another currency, for example) and a connectivity fee per exchange used.
- Great for everyday investors. Besides low costs, we think DEGIRO is a winner for private buy-and-hold investors because it does not charge any fees for inactivity, deposits, withdrawals, maintenance, or custody services.
- Excellent online platform: The DEGIRO browser platform is easy and intuitive to navigate for non-experts and includes a broad range of tools to keep an eye on portfolio performance.
Interactive Brokers: Best for Trust and Low Fees
US-headquartered Interactive Brokers is one of the world’s largest online brokerages with a local presence in Europe. Interactive Brokers stands out from the crowd of native European brokers with its long industry track record of over 40 years, gigantic range of products, access to over 150 markets, and sophisticated technology.
Interactive Brokers’ advanced mobile app, IBKR Mobile, is great for investors with at least some experience, as there are many features that can easily confuse newcomers. However, the newly developed IBKR GlobalTrader app is much simpler to use and also available in several languages, making it perfect for European investors who don’t need all the bells and whistles and just want to execute trades quickly and easily.
For those with a more active approach to the markets, IBKR Mobile is preferable. Some practice is admittedly required; however, the app quickly becomes intuitive and easy to navigate. Active traders can enjoy a ton of advanced features. The app is technology-centric and comes loaded with numerous order types, several technical indicators and drawing tools, detailed market information, live news, and much more.
Those with a simple, long-term passive strategy may prefer the GlobalTrader to quickly build a diversified portfolio of stocks and low-cost ETFs. Regardless of which mobile app you choose, you’ll be able to place trades, check your account balance and view real-time quotes.
When it comes to trust, Interactive Brokers is considered one of the most reputable brokers in the industry. Its mother company, Interactive Brokers Group, is publicly traded on NASDAQ, and the broker is regulated by several top-tier financial authorities. Most of all, IB shines due to its long track record of over 40 years in business.
Why Interactive Brokers:
- Product breadth. Interactive Brokers offers more products and access to more exchanges than any other broker.
- Advanced toolbox. IBKR Mobile finishes first in class when it comes to charts and technical analysis, with the ability to apply numerous indicators and drawings to examine market movements. Navigating quickly becomes intuitive, with asset categorized classes and easy order placing.
- Trust. Founded in 1977, Interactive Brokers boasts a long track record and has successfully weathered previous financial crises and recessions in the global economy. The parent unit of Interactive Brokers is listed on Nasdaq, and the company releases financial statements, making it a highly trustworthy broker.
Coinbase: Best Crypto Trading App in Europe
If you’re not already familiar with Coinbase, it’s safe to summarize that this exchange offers the most popular and best-known mobile app for trading cryptocurrencies. Coinbase has been around since 2012 and is considered one of the safest exchanges as it was never hacked and because it is a regulated and publicly traded company. If you’re looking to add cryptocurrency to your current portfolio, Coinbase is no doubt the easiest way to get started.
Special offer: Earn up to 6% in staking rewards on Coinbase.
I bought my first bitcoin on Coinbase but completely forgot about it until I discovered it years later – safe and sound right where I had left it. Coinbase today does feel much safer than back then, as it now offers insured custodial wallets for its users to store their cryptocurrencies. You can deposit traditional currencies like EUR and GBP and trade them to different cryptocurrencies like ether and bitcoin at competitive fees. Your cash is stored in real deposit-insured bank accounts.
🚀 If you want to leverage your trading with a margin of up to 5x, I recommend using Kraken. Margin means that a €1,000 trade would require an account balance of just €200. Margin is by no means risk-free, however.
Once you familiarize yourself with Coinbase, you should move to the free Coinbase Pro version. It has a cheaper fee structure and offers more flexible options when it comes to tools, charts, and indicators. Coinbase Pro is excellent for those who have gained an understanding of Coinbase and cryptocurrency in general, and it comes with more features that more experienced traders would want.
- Beginner-friendly. Coinbase arguably offers the most beginner-friendly cryptocurrency trading app available in Europe.
- Trust and reputation: As a regulated and publicly traded Nasdaq company, Coinbase stands out among the competition. Founded back in 2012, Coinbase is one of the largest cryptocurrency exchanges with over 20 million users worldwide.
- Fiat-crypto bridge: Coinbase supports most major cryptocurrencies for trading, bitcoin, ethereum, and Cardano, plus traditional currencies, EUR, GBP, USD.
❓ Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some frequently asked questions about the best trading apps in Europe:
What is the best stock trading app in Europe?
The best stock trading and investing apps for Europeans are eToro and DEGIRO. Both are discount brokers with attractive pricing models. eToro offers commission-free stock trading, with no markup, no ticket fee, no management fee, and has 2,000 stocks and 145 ETFs. Meanwhile, DEGIRO offers budget prices on stocks and ETFs, charges zero service fees, and provides access to several stock exchanges around the world.
What is the best free trading app in Europe?
What is the best trading app in Europe for beginners?
The answer to this question depends on whether you want to invest or do active trading. For investors, the best apps in Europe for stocks, ETFs, and bonds are eToro, DEGIRO, and Interactive Brokers. Between the brokers, Interactive Brokers has the best in-app educational videos and tutorials but is also the youngest platform. For novice day traders, eToro has the edge, as the app comes with a demo account for practice.
How do I choose a trading app?
The first step to selecting a mobile trading platform is to gather information from reviews and online discussions. Ask yourself what features are important to you. Are you looking for traditional equity investments such as stocks, bonds, and ETFs? Or do you want to trade leveraged instruments actively? With many brokers operating in different markets, it’s important to get a full picture before opening an account.
How much money do I need to start investing in an app?
Very little. Many European brokers now offer commission-free trades of stocks and ETFs, while others will let you buy fractional shares of expensive stocks from as little as €1.
Are cheaper brokers better?
While trading costs are key to frequent and high-volume traders, there is more to selecting a broker than just fees. Factors like the number of markets available, customer support, training tools, charting, and the quality and easy-of-use of the trading platform can be more important than saving a few pennies in the long run.
Is my money insured when trading on an app?
EU directives require each member state to provide investor protection of a minimum €20,000 if an investment firm is unable to meet its obligations. All broker firms regulated within the EU are required to belong to this scheme. Depending on how your unused funds are kept, these may also be insured up to a certain amount. However, it’s important to understand that the protection scheme does not cover losses arising from failed or unsuccessful investments. Another thing to keep in mind is that brokerages can be regulated by multiple financial authorities around the world, meaning that investors located outside the EU may fall under a different protection scheme.
Is the desktop version superior to the app?
Despite the popularity of mobile trading, three-quarters of online trades are still being made on desktop systems. Since desktop trading is far superior in most aspects, but especially when it comes to speed, overview, usability. We, therefore, recommend that you use these brokers’ apps as a supplement to their web client or desktop software.