Like most aspects of today’s mobile world, trading Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies has become a daily activity on our smartphones. The best apps for trading crypto have low fees, are simple to use, and offer unique new features like staking rewards and interest accounts for everyone from beginners to experienced professionals.
However, no single crypto app is the best option for every Bitcoin bull or bear. Your trading activity, preferred coins, country of residence, and overall investment strategy could all affect the best crypto trading app for you.
From huge sign-up bonuses to generous trading rewards, the best mobile exchanges and platforms for crypto trading vary greatly from one to another. In short, the best crypto app for buying bitcoin and ether will be different than the best for earning interest or the best for automated crypto trading.
Best apps for trading cryptocurrencies
Here are the best apps for trading and investing in cryptocurrencies by category, based on years of research:
Rather than simply selecting the “best crypto app” and ranking all the best options, I’ve attempted to highlight the best crypto app for a variety of situations. Make your own decision and compare these apps to find one that fits your needs.
What to consider when choosing a crypto trading app
The best apps for trading cryptocurrencies on Android and iOS are secure, easy to use, frequently updated, have low fees, and accept a variety of fiat and digital funding methods. Here are the main things to consider when choosing a crypto app:
- Security: When it comes to security, things have gotten much better in recent years as most platforms have implemented key features like two-factor authentication, anti-phishing systems, email confirmations for withdrawals, cold storage solutions, and multi-signature algorithms.
- Beginner friendliness: As more people take their first plunge into the volatile cryptocurrency markets, beginners want an app that is easy to understand, have a simple interface, provide multi-lingual support, but most importantly offer low fees. The great news: It’s never been easier to get started with crypto, and the best crypto apps are more user-friendly than ever before.
- Fees: Most crypto companies are doing almost anything to get more users, which involves slashing fees for trades and withdrawals to a bare minimum. Make sure your select mobile app offers competitive fees without comprising quality. Another thing to keep in mind: Exchanges are not in control of “miner” or “network” fees, these depend on the systems that process transactions.
- Investment goals: The best crypto app for you depends on the overall goal of your crypto activity. Is your strategy to buy and hold a few select coins for several years, or do you plan on trading the markets actively? Make your decision before jumping in.
Finally, before deciding on an app, make sure to test it first with a smaller deposit to see if it’s right for you. That’s essentially how to choose a crypto app.
🔒 Use a hardware wallet to keep your crypto safe: Consider moving your coins away from exchanges to a hardware wallet like the Ledger Naxo X. Hardware wallets store your private keys offline and make you sign all transaction with a separate device. They can’t be hacked unless you share your secret seed phrase.
Best cryptocurrency apps for trading and investing: Comparison
This list gives an overview of the best apps on Android and iOS for trading and investing Bitcoin, Ether, stablecoins, and other cryptocurrencies. To learn more about each provider, visit their website and register a free account.
Coinbase: Best overall and best for beginners
Coinbase gets the top spot for beginners as it offers a safe, simple, and fast mobile interface without compromising on quality or security. With its simplicity, the Coinbase app is a great starting place if you’re just getting into the world of crypto. You can buy, send, and receive cryptocurrencies and easily manage your assets on the go. Once you’ve gotten a better feel of how things work, you can move to Coinbase Pro for lower fees and more advanced trading features.
- Recommended starting place for beginners
- An easy-to-use mobile and web platform
- Best-known and trusted exchange worldwide
- Unbroken security history
- Earn interest through staking
Things to keep in mind
- Customer support can be slow
- Limited number of altcoins
- High fees for debit card deposits
Coinbase is available in 100+ countries and supports a number of payment methods. Those in the US, UK, and EU can fund their account by bank transfer, credit/debit card, or Paypal, to trade between a large number of different digital currencies. Eligible Coinbase customers can also earn free rewards by completing courses and earn up to 7.5% interest annually by staking—locking—supported assets for a defined timeframe.
Coinbase takes extreme security measures by storing up to 97% of customer funds offline in encrypted, geographically separated servers and has never been hacked. If you’re looking for a secure digital exchange and mobile cryptocurrency wallet, Coinbase may be a great fit for you.
eToro: Best for global users and best free demo account
eToro is one largest financial brokerages in the world with over 15 million registered users. It offers an easy-to-use mobile platform for cryptocurrency trading that’s well-suited for beginners due to its simple graphic interface, quick sign-up process, and simple order placement system.
US residents please note: This content is not intended for residents or citizens of the US.
- $100,000 demo trading account
- Supports the top cryptocurrencies
- Social trading experience
- Copytrading feature to automatically copy popular traders
- Easily transfer coins from trading platform to eToro Wallet
Things to keep in mind
- $5 fee for fiat withdrawals
- Non-USD deposits are subject to conversion fee
- Fluctuating trading fees with a variable spread
The eToro app is remarkably easy to navigate and offers newcomers a $100,000 virtual trading account to explore cryptocurrency trading risk-free. You can buy all the top cryptocurrencies in the intuitive trading interface, accompanied by a lively social discussion feed for each coin and the ability to copy-trade other traders in real time through the popular CopyTrader feature.
Cryptoasset investing is unregulated in most EU countries and the UK. No consumer protection. Your capital is at risk.
In terms of security, eToro complies with European regulators, the Cyprus Securities Exchange Commission (CySEC) and the UK’s Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). In addition to the trading platform, eToro offers a personal crypto wallet, with multiple security features, including private keys, multi-signature facilities, DDoS protection, and ISO 27001/27032 protocols.
eToro USA LLC does not offer CFDs and makes no representation and assumes no liability as to the accuracy or completeness of the content of this publication, which has been prepared by our partner utilizing publicly available non-entity specific information about eToro.
eToro is a multi-asset platform which offers both investing in stocks and cryptoassets, as well as trading CFD assets.
CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. 67% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider. You should consider whether you understand how CFDs work, and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.
Cryptoassets are volatile instruments which can fluctuate widely in a very short timeframe and therefore are not appropriate for all investors. Other than via CFDs, trading cryptoassets is unregulated and therefore is not supervised by any EU regulatory framework.
Binance: Best for low fees and best features
Binance is the largest digital currency exchange in the world with the most comprehensive cryptocurrency trading app on the market. It’s full-service, with more features than any other exchange and some of the lowest trading fees around. Binance supports over 500 digital and fiat currency pairs combined and is available in more than 180 countries worldwide, but has a specific entity, Binance US, for US users.
- Largest cryptocurrency exchange in the world
- Low trading fees
- Earn interest through staking and lending
- Available worldwide
- High number of crypto and fiat currencies supported
Things to keep in mind
- Slow customer support
- Number of features can be overwhelming for beginners
It’s fair to say Binance has been a leading innovative force in the crypto sphere as the exchange is always one step ahead of the competition. There’s almost nothing you can’t do at Binance: trade crypto for crypto or crypto for fiat, earn interest by lending or staking, trade futures with leverage, or take out loans. Binance also has its own blockchain, the Binance Smart Chain, which surpassed Ethereum in volume in early 2021, adding to its massive success.
Special offer: Get 5% lifetime fee discount on all your trades.
Binance is a technology-centric crypto trading app that’s best suited for users with at least some experience. However, Binance has a rich library of educational resources which will quickly let you get up to speed. Both newcomers and experts will enjoy the advanced security features on the platform, which besides two-factor authentication and anti-phishing codes, include YubiKey integration and an internal insurance system.
Kraken: Best for trust
San Francisco-based Kraken is known as one of the most reliable cryptocurrency exchanges due to its high security standards and impeccable track record. It’s among the top five largest exchanges based on volume and primarily appeals to more advanced users, with a plethora of features for active traders including up to 5x leveraged margin trading and the ability to go short.
- Among the largest cryptocurrency exchanges worldwide
- Was never hacked
- Competitive trading fees
- Allows margin trading and short positions
- Earn staking rewards on a number of coins, including ETH2
- Fast customer support
Things to keep in mind
- Interface can be confusing for newcomers to navigate
- Not among the most innovative exchanges
Rather than having one single integrated mobile app, Kraken has three: Kraken, Kraken Pro, and Kraken Futures, each built with different users in mind. While the regular Kraken apps lets you buy and sell cryptocurrencies like every other crypto app, Kraken Pro and Futures both offer a professional trading environment, designed for margin traders, with advanced order types and sophisticated charting display features.
Special offer: Earn up to 12% in rewards by staking coins and fiat on Kraken.
It’s safe to say Kraken’s mobile apps are a worthy choice for traders thanks to Kraken’s spotless reputation, security-first mindset, low transaction fees, and advanced order types. In its 10 years of history, the exchange has never been hacked. While it may not best the best option for beginners, Kraken offers everything professionals require to trade on the go.
BlockFi: Best for earning interest
For many investors, immobilising their digital funds in a hardware wallet is the go-to strategy for ultimate safekeeping. But this doesn’t build additional wealth over time. BlockFi is among the many new reliable companies to offer bank-like interest accounts to long term cryptocurrency holders. By depositing cryptocurrency into BlockFi, you can earn compound interest on your Bitcoin, Ether, stablecoins, and other digital assets, with monthly payouts to your wallet.
- Up to 8.6% interest on crypto holdings
- Back by Coinbase, Winklevoss, and other venture firms
- Regulated and licensed US financial company
- Monthly interest payments
- Free monthly withdrawal
- Up to $250 in BTC sign-up bonus for new users
Things to keep in mind
- BlockFi has custody of your funds
- SEPA and other international bank transfer methods are not supported
BlockFi is backed by $450 million in investments from some of the biggest players in the crypto industry, including Coinbase Ventures, Galaxy Digital, Morgan Creek Capital Management, Valar Ventures, and Winklevoss, and manages assets worth over $15 billion. For storage, BlockFi uses bank-regulated Gemini as its primary custodian, one of the most trusted names in the crypto industry.
Special offer: Get a free sign up bonus worth up $250 in BTC with our special BlockFi partner link.
Signing up to BlockFi is free, so both beginners and seasoned veterans can test for themselves whether it’s a platform they want to invest with. Interest accrues immediately upon deposit and is paid out at the beginning of each month. BlockFi also offers the option receive interest in different cryptocurrencies. This means you can easily diversify your portfolio without having to manually rebalance through trading.
Why trust this list
I’ve been writing about investing—including cryptocurrencies, stock brokers, and real estate—for years, which has given me an insight into how the decentralized financial system works, and I’ve been using cryptocurrency exchanges for nearly as long. Over the years, I’ve done in-depth analysis of numerous platforms to find the best sites, and I’ve observed enough market crashes and black swan events to see which ones are the safest in the long run.
To get the best understanding of the highlights and drawbacks of various cryptocurrency apps, I’ve trawled through articles, reviews, and online forums, comparing their trustworthiness, fees, security, transparency, and unique features. I keep notes on all major centralized and central exchanges and try my best to keep this guide updated at all times with all of the largest developments.
The following steps were taken to research the company behind each app to find out as much as possibly about them:
- Evaluating legitimacy based on: (1) publicity and interviews in the press and established media channels; (2) checking national company registries to verify the company’s existence; (3) run through their Careers section to see if they’re employing people and expanding; (4) conducting a generic internet search to gain insights into their history
- Searching or compliance status and money/banking licenses with relevant national financial authorities. For US-domiciled exchanges, the NY DFS, FINRA, SEC, SIPC, FINCEN, BROKERCHECK; for UK-domiciled, the FCA.
- Searching for and evaluating the truth of online reviews (see the “online reviews” section)
- Reviewing the company’s security features and protocols
- Doing an online search for complaints about users not being able to withdraw funds
- Downloading the mobile application for Android and iOS and opening an individual account (corporate accounts were not checked)
- Speaking with the company representatives, or attempting to do so
- Submitting fictional test support tickets to determinate response times
- Depositing and withdrawing funds
How these crypto apps were picked
There are hundreds of apps for trading cryptocurrencies available. To narrow down the list, only the most established and reputable ones were included, based on amount of years in the industry, number verified downloads, publicity of their founders on cryptocurrency news sites, number of tradable coins, daily trading volume stats from Coinmarketcap and Coingecko. I also looked at apps from cryptocurrency exchanges that had a clear question-and-answer section, in-depth educational resources, clear risk warnings, and easy-to-understand fee structures. All this research was combined with noncommercial reviews from private users on Twitter, Reddit, Google Play, and the App Store, while testimonials from Trustpilot were largely ignored due to unreliability.
What is the best crypto trading app?
Here is a summary of the best crypto trading apps by categories:
What is the best crypto app for beginners?
The best crypto app for beginners are Coinbase and eToro. Between the two exchanges, Coinbase has the easiest crypto mobile app due to its simple and intuitive user interface. Meanwhile, eToro offers a more comprehensive investment experience with support for social and copy trading and multiple asset classes. Both offer a digital wallet for mobile with multiple tools and trade types.
What app has the most cryptocurrencies?
Binance has the app with the most cryptocurrencies available for trading. For Binance.com users, there are more than 150 coins to pick from. Aside from the most popular coins, Binance features a long list of altcoins (what some, in fairness, would call shitcoins). Binance also accepts a wide variety of traditional currencies such as US Dollars, Euros, Pound Sterling, and other fiat currencies.
Which crypto app has the best sign-up bonus?
The crypto app with the best sign-up bonuses is BlockFi. New users can get a free BTC up worth to $250 bonus when opening an account with our partner link. For long term bonuses, Binance is best and offers 5% fee discount to users who register with this link.
There are hundreds of cryptocurrency apps to pick from. After careful review and testing, considering multiple factors, the ones listed in this article represent the most trustworthy, easy-to-use, secure, and have a reputable track record. Compare the features and fees of these crypto apps side by side to find the best one for you.
Since not all apps offer the same features, you should chose the one that best suits your needs to best. Some apps offer of reams of functions and coins that might be over the edge if you’re just looking to buy and hold, while others may be too limited if you’re trading the markets actively.
To summarise, best crypto apps for beginners are Coinbase and eToro, while the best crypto apps for trading are Binance, Kraken, and Bybit. For earning interest on cryptocurrencies, the best app is BlockFi, while Kraken and Binance both great options for staking.
1. Coinnmarketcap: https://coinmarketcap.com/rankings/exchanges/
2. CoinGecko: https://www.coingecko.com/en/exchanges
3. Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/